Tuesday, September 12, 2006

Mercedes vs. Human vs. Double-Decker Bus

Warning: my lack of emotions and cynical nature will make this episode much funnier than it really was. Never challenge a bus and Mercedes, you'll lose.

So, out of complete boredom, I decided to go to Causeway Bay today to wander a few shops. I didn't purchase anything, so after a few hours I decided to get on the bus of my dreams: #23. It goes to HKU, to my work and to three malls. Yes, love it.

I got on my bus and after a few minutes, I feel a bump, a dozen car horns - and we come to a streeching halt. Now, the majority of these buses are huge-ass double decker buses that don't necessarily stop on a dime. However, the drivers here seem to think they do.

I bump my head against the chair infront of me.

A buzzer goes off, and me as the stupid English-speaker, asks a schoolchild what happened. He told me there's been an accident, and he thinks we're getting off the bus.

First thought: "Well, I want my HK$5.60 back."

So, I start snapping pictures with my cell phone camera. I guess, from the child's testimony, a bus and a Mercedes Benz both hit a pedestrian, and then the Mercedes, obviously caught off guard, slammed into the bus.

Sucks.

Here we go, no blood though, I couldn't get out of the bus to shoot pictures:

The guy in the grey suit is the driver.


That's a picture from the second level, where I was sitting. The yellow lines were the crosswalk. The man hit by the bus from my understand is somewhere under the rear of my bus and the car.

After about ten minutes, the passengers get shuffled onto another bus.

I learned very quickly when I first got here that you don't screw with anything on wheels here. They honestly don't care. The vast majority of people kept walking and didn't care. I mean, come on, the crosswalks tell you about as explicitedly as I have ever seen when or when not to cross.

I got my $5.60 back. I guess if you hit someone with a bus, the least of your worries is cashing in the fares of your passengers.

Anyways, Please Mind the Gap ... and the bus.

~Ken

No comments: