Saturday, September 02, 2006

Culture Shock Episode 1: Chicken and Prostitutes

I watched a chicken die.

Now, there are a lot of things I could write about today, especially since it was my birthday. But, I choose to write about said chicken.

I walked into the Smithtown Market today, and on the first floor is a butchering area where dozens of butchers have there individual stands selling various meats. I made the mistake of watching past a poultry stand when a woman pointed to a live chicken and ordered it.

I don't speak Cantonese, but I think she ordered it.

The butcher pulled the chicken out of the cage and well... yea.

I walked away at that point. Two minutes later, my roommate called me to see if I wanted to eat.

-Eight Hours Later-

I went with a large group of international students to Wan Chai, which is a neighborhood in central Hong Kong. We were going bar hopping and inbetween the bars were woman grabbing my hand, talking about favors or something.

I've seen prostitutes before, but never been actively sought out by them. I thought it was the grossest thing ever, but every time I ignored them, some guy behind me would walk off hand-in-hand with them.

That was my birthday, chicken and prostitutes.

~Ken

PS: I did spent the vast majority of my b-day on a beach today :) ... we went to Western HK, where our driver took us to a cove with an isolated beach. It was absolutely wonderful

No comments: