Friday, December 22, 2006

Train Ride to Xian

After spending one more day in Beijing, it was time to move on. My next stop on my across Asia Super Tourist tour is Xian (where my camera was stolen).

I've always wanted to take an overnight train somewhere. I took Amtrak as a child to Disneyworld in Orlando. I don't remember that trip. I do remember winning a car though (wtf?). Yea, I won a car, but that's not the point of this blog entry is it?

So, yes: Train. So, I decided to go in style to Xian. We took the Chinese Z92 Overnight to Xian - the newest train on the Chinese railways, something they were very proud of. Johannes and I traveled by first-class to Xi'an, leaving at 8:30 p.m. and getting in at 8 a.m. We got our own cabin with our own toilet and table.

It was very Chic. Even more Chic: we had dinner and a beer in the dining car. The fried prawns were great.

Okay, here's pictures:


Beijing West Railway Station. Why wasn't I robbed here? Seemed like a good place to do so. Oh, I know... because it's Beijing and as first-class customers, we got our own lobby. I want to in the Party...

Yay our Train!


Please Mind the Gap - And Join the Party.
Ken

3 comments:

Unknown said...

...and would you call this the "Orient Express"?

...or as Tato said..."the train, boss....the train!!!!"

OK, so I edited it a bit

...and did you have to Mind the Gap?

Anonymous said...

Dear Ken -

I am in Yosemite. My room has a toilet and a table, too. Life is good! www.evergreenlodge.com

Dad

Anonymous said...

I joined the party a long time ago...I'm still waiting for my liver.